Tuesday, June 19

SUMMER DRUMMIN' - drumlady events calendar

Hey everybody -

So here's the DRUMLADY update. (Drumroll please.......)
-while the drum is rolling...if you would like to read this later it's all available on my blog, www.drumlady.blogspot.com. Thank you.-

1. HAND DRUMMING FOR WOMEN CLASSES
The Circle Yoga drum class LIVES ON. If you haven't taken classes from me yet, and have been wondering what all the fuss is about, come check it out!!!

Hand Drumming for Women
In this class students will explore West African drums
and rhythms with djembe artist Kristen Arant, learning
basic notes of the djembe, parts to traditional West
African polyrhythms and will build confidence,
strength, and joy by playing improvisationally through
listening and bonding with one another. Drums provided
or bring your own.
classes at CIRCLE YOGA
3838 Northampton Street NW
Washington 20015
202-686-1104
SUNDAYS, 12-1:15 p.m., June 25- Aug. 19 2007
SIGN UP or DROP-IN; more info at www.circleyoga.com


2. SUMMER CAMPS/DRUM PARTIES
Drumlady is still available to teach drumming workshops at summer camps for kids (well, and adults...) and for parties - indoor, outdoor, BBQ, Birthday, wedding, whathaveyou -- order a drum workshop or drum circle tailored to your guests' desires. OR request the World Beat Ensemble - the high-energy West African drum-song-dance ensemble i play with that features Mark Francis Nickens, Henry Moses, and (when I can get 'em), Katy Gaughan on djembe and dancer Binahkaye Joy - the Mother of Movement. Whatever your tastes are, please remember to order them SOON! Schedule is filling up with love very quickly. (:


3. I'm playing in a new group called OMEGABAND
(see www.omegaband.net) - the band is SOLID with rock, funk, ska and soul songs, ALL ORIGINALS. I'm playing copious amounts of percussion and providing harmony vocals at some interesting venues. here's the schedule, hope you can make some shows!

OMEGABAND UPCOMING PERFORMANCES...

Thursday, June 21th 9pm - Chief Ike's Mambo Room, 1725 Columbia Rd, NW (Adam's Morgan)

Thursday, June 28th 9PM - The Red and The Black, 1212 H St NE (Atlas Corridor)

Friday, July 13th, 9PM - Asylum, 2471 18th St NW (Adam's Morgan)
This is an event entitled Fringe Benefits - it's a benefit show for Miriam's Kitchen. $7 cover. We'll be recording live too, so come out and holla for a good cause!

Thursday, July 26th, 7:15PM - Fort Reno, 3950 Chesapeake St NW, http://www.fortreno.com/about.html


4. PRIVATE LESSONS
I have 3-4 private students at any given time and LOVE working with my students one on one. Be prepared to learn technique, learn new and sometimes complex rhythms, and work diligently to improve your skills on the djembe. Beginners-Intermediate level players all welcome. Advanced players - give me a call. Let's barter a lesson for a lesson and learn each other's moves.


5. WHAT PEOPLE SAY ABOUT DRUMLADY
Well, here's the quote of the year for me, thanks so much to its author, who holds wild drum parties at her home and invites friends:

Dear Kristen,

Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

I hope you understand what a profound impact you have had on me and, I am certain, every one of us! You have brought to us an experience that not many women (at our advanced ages!) will ever, ever have! You give us the opportunity to try out new 'skins' (goat and otherwise!), to be uncomfortable at times, and to be with friends in a way that I have not experienced. What we do (for certain) and how we interact with each other during drumming is just different than how we interact in other venues - whether it be at home, at work, at neighborhood parties, at book groups, or through our kids'
events. I wish I could articulate precisely the energy that flows in that room but I can't - and perhaps I shouldn't try!

Anyway, those events are special for all of us - because you, Kristen, bring it to us!

Thanks thanks thanks!


6. THE LIST
if you want to get off my list, it's okay. i won't take it personally. just let me know.


Thank you all for your time and commitment to this beautiful drumming movement-

Peace
Drumlady Kristen Arant
202-213-7810
www.drumlady.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey kristen. I see from the RWU email that Young Women will drum tomorrow, July 4 in Takoma Park. I wish i could come, I'll try, I think the kids would like it.

hey check out the preview stages of my new goddess shaker on Make a Shakere, my shaker making site.

Love and blessings from joe